“Arise, eat, because the journey is too great for you.” (1 Kings 19:7)
Last time we discussed how we need rest and rejuvenation to recover from spiritual and physical exhaustion. Elijah not only slept under the broom tree, but he also received nourishment from Heaven. This was no ordinary angel that ministered to Elijah. Biblical scholars teach that the “angel of the Lord” in this passage is the pre-incarnate Christ. The Eternal Word personally provided Elijah with the following divine nourishment. (1)
- God’s love and grace.
- Elijah was assured of God’s love and grace even when he tried to run from his presence.
- God’s abiding presence.
- In our lowest point of feeling of depression, rejection, and failure, God does not abandon us.
- God’s strength
- The meal the Angel of the Lord prepared energized Elijah to travel 40 days and 40 nights to Mount Horeb (1 Kings 19:8)
- God’s assurance of His plan and our work.
- God was not done with Elijah and would provide for his next mission.
Yet those who wait for the Lord,
Will gain new strength;
You will mount up with wings like eagles,
You will run and not get tired,
You will walk and not become weary. (Isaiah 40:31 personalized with You)
Our divine nourishment is find in the Angel of the Lord/Jesus Christ (Phi 4:19).
(1) The Restoration of Elijah 1 Kings 19:4-18, Keathly III, J. H. https://bible.org/seriespage/16-restoration-elijah-1-kings-195-18